Anthony T. Smith
Anthony (“Tony”) T. Smith has been representing plaintiffs for most of his career. His clients include commercial and residential property owners, condominium and townhome associations, property management companies, and individual homeowners.
He practices in the following areas:
- Insurance Appraisals and Litigation
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Community Association Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury Litigation
Tony utilizes an aggressive litigation strategy built around focused expert investigation, information gathering, and preparation to maximize his clients’ likelihood of success. He routinely advises and represents clients in all aspects of civil litigation, including initial claim investigation and evaluation, discovery, motion practice, mediation, and trial.
Tony has presented at local and national educational seminars on a wide range of topics, including property owners’ rights under their insurance policies, insurance appraisals, insurance carrier bad faith, and construction defect litigation.
He is admitted to practice in Minnesota state court and the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. He has also represented clients pro hac vice in the state courts of South Dakota and Wisconsin.
Tony obtained his Juris Doctorate from the University of Minnesota Law School in 2001. Prior to attending law school, he received his Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, from Hamline University.
Well-respected by his clients and peers, he was selected as a Minnesota Rising Star from 2007 – 2010 and 2012 – 2015, a distinction awarded to only 2½ % of Minnesota attorneys under the age of 40.
Publications and Presentations
A Storm Is Brewing: Navigating the Choppy Waters of Property Insurance Claims
(Presented at Community Associations Institute, Minnesota Chapter's August Manager's Seminar, August 13, 2013)
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Minnesota, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2002
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Juris Doctorate - 2001
- Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts summa cum laude
- Major: Sociology
- Five Tips for Effective Property Management: All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Wars
- Legal Considerations in Homeowner Association Lending: An Overview for Property Managers, Board Members and Homeowners
- A Storm Is Brewing: Navigating the Choppy Waters of Property Insurance Claims
- Construction Defect and Warranty Claims: Legal Considerations, Pitfalls, and a Case Study for Property Owners and Managers
- Match Wars: Insurance Coverage for Matching Building Products After the Cedar Bluff Decision
Honors and Awards
- Minnesota Rising Stars, 2007 - 2010
- Minnesota Rising Stars, 2012 - 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota Association for Justice
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Yost & Baill, LLP, Associate, 2001 - 2003
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi, LLP, Staff Attorney, 2003 - 2004
- Murnane Brandt, Associate, 2004 - 2007
- Hellmuth & Johnson, PLLP, 2007 - 2013