“I enjoy working with property owners on a wide range of issues. Regardless of whether my clients’ issues are big or small, they all deserve a lawyer who will partner with them to give them honest, practical advice and work hard to achieve their goals. I strive to do that for all of my clients.”
Anthony (“Tony”) T. Smith has been representing property owners for most of his career. His clients include condominium and townhome associations, property management companies, residential and commercial building contractors, and residential and commercial property owners.
He practices in the following areas:
A skilled trial lawyer and negotiator with years of experience, Tony focuses extensively on serving the diverse legal needs of his clients. He regularly assists condominium and townhome associations with drafting, amending, interpreting and enforcing their governing documents; resolving disputes with and between homeowners; and collection and foreclosures against delinquent homeowners. Additionally, Tony maintains a robust trial practice, and frequently represents his clients in disputes with contractors and insurance companies. He has represented condominium and townhome associations, contractors, and property owners in insurance appraisals, civil lawsuits, and appeals to both the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Tony is a frequent lecturer on issues pertaining to his practice areas, and has presented seminars for members of CAI-Minnesota and CIC-Midwest, both of which serve the needs of community associations in the State of Minnesota. He has also presented local and national educational seminars on insurance policies and insurance coverage, insurance appraisals, insurance carrier bad faith, and construction defect litigation.
He is admitted to practice in Minnesota state court and the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. He has also represented clients in the state courts of South Dakota and Wisconsin.
Tony is a 2001 graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School.
Well-respected by his clients and peers, he has been named a Minnesota Rising Star, a distinction awarded to only 2½ % of Minnesota attorneys under the age of 40, on numerous occasions.
- Minnesota, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2002
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Juris Doctorate – 2001
- Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts summa cum laude
- Major: Sociology
Publications and Presentations
- Premises Liability Issues in Common Interest Communities – CAI-MN, 2017
- Five Tips for Effective Property Management:All I Really Need to Know I Learned From Watching Star Wars™ – CIC Midwest, 2017
- Hot Topics for Cold Weather: Holiday Lights, Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals, Neighbor Disputes, and Housing Discrimination – Associa Minnesota, 2016
- Litigating the Common Interest Community Construction Defect Claim: Strategies and Pitfalls – CAI-MN, 2016
- RENT: A Property Manager’s (Non-Musical) Survival Guide to Rentals – Sharper Management, 2015
- Show Me The Money! A Collections Overview for Property Managers – Gassen Company, 2016
- Match Wars: Property Insurance Claims After Cedar Bluff – Contractor’s Association of Minnesota, 2016
- Construction Defect Disputes & Litigation: Using Coverage, Case Law and Indemnification to Shift Liability – National Business Institute, December 2015
- Insurance Company Claims Negotiations: Top 10 Challenges – National Business Institute, November 2015
- The Cedar Bluff Decision and Impact on Contractors, Policyholders, and Insurance Companies – Roeder Smith Jadin Insurance Law Seminar, Spring 2015
- A Storm Is Brewing: Navigating the Choppy Waters of Property Insurance Claims – CAI-MN, 2013
- Preparing Files for Litigation: Making a Favorable Record for Your Clients – National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, 2012
Honors and Awards
- Minnesota Rising Star, 2007 – 2010
- Minnesota Rising Star, 2012 – 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Poehler v. Cincinnati Insurance Company, — N.W.2d — (Minn. 2017)
- Condominiums of Shenandoah Place v. Secura Insurance, 2016 WL 614381 (D.Minn. 2016)
- Cedar Bluff Townhome Condominium Ass’n, Inc. v. American Family Mutual Ins. Co., 857 N.W.2d 290 (Minn. 2014)
- U.S. Federal Credit Union v. Stars & Strikes, LLC, 2011 WL 1466383 (Minn. Ct. App. 2011)
- Brunell v. Kyle, 2007 WL 1121362 (Minn. Ct. App. 2007)
- Ray v. State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co., 2007 WL 172559 (D. Minn. 2007)